Chocolate Cupcake with Dark Chocolate Ganache Topping

   

     Don't you ever get one of those days when only deep dark chocolate will do? When you try every bit of remedy like eating sweets all day but the craving just won't go away?

     I was recently hit with one of those cravings so I made a half batch of moist chocolate cupcakes which I decided to top with dark chocolate ganache. I wanted to sink my teeth into this cupcake even before I got the chance to photograph it. I was almost tempted to forego the gumpaste flower decor so I could indulge right away. Well good thing I was able to restrain myself.

Moist Chocolate Cupcakes

Ingredients
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup unsalted butter
1 1/3 cups refined sugar
2 large eggs
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract.
1/2 cup Dutch alkali-processed cocoa powder
1 teaspoon instant coffee granules
1/2 cup + 1/3 cup very cold water

Instructions
1. Preheat oven to 350 F (180 C).
2. Sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
3. Stir in cocoa powder and coffee into cold water. Set aside.
4. Cream butter and sugar at medium speed for 10 minutes.
5. Add eggs one at a time.
6. Add vanilla extract.
7. Add flour mixture alternately with chocolate mixture.
8. Divide batter into paper-lined muffin tins filling them 2/3 full.
9. Bake at 350 F for 18 to 20 minutes.
10. Cool completely before frosting.

Makes about 20 3-oz. cupcakes.

Dark Chocolate Ganache
     For the ganache topping, simply heat 1/2 cup cream to simmering then pour over 2 cups chopped dark chocolate. Stir until chocolate is melted and smooth. You can use it warm to top your cupcake or let it cool before whipping to use as a frosting. Your choice.


Comments