Breakfast or tea time, I just think it's very elegant to eat scones that are warm and fresh from the oven. Just indulgent with a smear of jam or creme fraiche.
Cranberry Orange Scones
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 cup refined sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup butter
1 teaspoon orange zest
1/2 cup dried cranberries
1/2 cup fresh milk
1 large egg
2 tablespoons milk
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Grease and flour a cookie sheet. Set aside.
- Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt in a bowl. Grate butter using box grater and add to flour mixture.
- Mix lightly by hand until you get coarse crumbs.
- Stir in the orange zest and dried cranberries.
- Whisk together the egg and milk.
- Using a fork, combine egg-milk mixture to flour-butter mixture. Take care not to mix too much.
- Transfer dough to a floured surface and knead very lightly and form into a ball.
- Roll out dough to an 8-inch round about 1-inch thick. Cut into 8 triangles.
- Place on cookie sheet one inch apart.
- Brush with milk and sprinkle with a little sugar.
- Bake for 15 to 17 minutes. Cool 5 minutes then serve warm.
*Photo courtesy of myrecipes.com