Saturday, March 14, 2009

Tips on Food Photography


I know I've said this before, I started this blog to inspire myself to bake more often and take better pictures. I have a passionate affair with beautiful photographs of food. The styling, lighting, and composition just fascinates me to bits.

In the almost one year since I've purchased my first Nikon dSLR I've learned a thing or two about food photography through trial and error.

If there are a few things I can share that I think you'll find valuable, these are:

1. Before you start taking pictures of your creation, clean up the mess you made. Clear the counter and put away unused ingredients and utensils. Nothing spoils a photo more than dirty dishes and pots in the background.

2. If you can avoid it, turn off your camera's flash. Using it produces harsh shadows and washed out pictures of food. It is often best to take pictures of food by a window that lets in a lot of light, and

3. You can dress up your composition a bit by using a nice white or cream colored napkin or placemat. Food also looks good on a clean white plate or a fairly new chopping board. Try to avoid plates and tablecloths with lots of patterns and colors.

But no worries, that's about the extent of my ramblings. I will stop pretending to be knowledgeable enough to write an article about my findings and leave the teaching to the pros.

If you are seriously considering starting your own blog or simply want to chronicle the fruits of your labor, might I suggest a few articles from some professional photographers and food bloggers that I found quite informative and packed with helpful tips for amateurs like myself.

A couple of articles I found very informative is this one by Michael Ray which can be found here and here.

Another article that proved very useful for me is this one by Lolo of the famous blog vegan yum.yum found here.

For more inspiration, there's always Flickr for tons of food shots with helpful discussions on styling and lighting techniques. Just take care that you don't spend more time browsing than actually baking and taking photos of your work as I am sometimes inclined to do. ;-)

Good luck with your photography adventures. And one last thing, take more pictures than you think you'll need; vary the angles and perspective. And do it as often as you can because the more you practice, the better you become.

Happy snapping!

No comments: