Breakfast Of Champions: Fruity Granola

     Are you a breakfast person? Or do you just grab coffee and you're out the door? I am one of those people who regularly eat breakfast. Otherwise I'd be a cranky mess all morning. But unlike some, I cannot for the life of me eat the same thing every day. Variety is the spice of life, baby!

     When eating rice for breakfast gets tiresome, I switch to bread or cereals for my early morning grub. I really enjoy all the sweet goodness I get from granola. I feel good knowing I'm getting my fiber requirement too. But store-bought granola can be expensive. So I make my own with my favorite ingredients and the right amount of sweetness that's right for me.

     Not only is making granola at home cost effective you can also control the amount of honey and sugar that goes in it. And it's all a matter of preference. Just pick your favorite nuts and dried fruit combination and you're good to go.

     I usually have this fruity granola topped on a bowl of greek yoghurt. Or as a mid-afternoon snack when the munchies strike. A jar of this homemade granola also makes an excellent edible gift.



Ingredients:
3 1/2 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
1/2 cup chopped pecans
1/4 cup squash seeds
1/4 cup sunflower seeds
1/4 cup raw honey
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons MCT oil or any neutral flavored oil

When cool, add:
1/3 cup chopped dried apricots
3 tablespoons dried cranberries

Instructions:
1. Toss the first 8 ingredients in a big bowl.
2. Transfer to a sheet pan and spread in a single layer.
3. Bake for 30 minutes tossing the mixture halfway through for even browning.
4. When done, transfer to another sheet pan to cool.
5. Add in the dried fruits.
6. Store in an airtight container.


Note:
You can vary the nuts you add just make sure they all make up 1 cup. Any dried fruit combination works too. Just make sure they make up 1/2 cup.

Comments