Best Thing I Ever Ate: Manila Edition Part II

 

     Due to health reasons and my ever expanding waistline, I have given up constant dining out and prefer to eat homecooked meals most days.  It's a sad reality but I still want to be around for my future grandchildren so it's a small sacrifice come to think of it.

     Despite the embargo on eating out, I have managed to think up a list of the best things I ate of late. So here we are with Part 2 of The Best Thing I Ever Ate Manila Edition as inpired by a Food Network segment. Mind you, most of the entries are not even expensive. Some of you might turn your noses up on my choices but hey if it's delicious and yet very cheap, it makes me doubly happy.


Chilled Perfection
     Soy Yummy Chilled Taho's bang for your buck can't be beat. Perfect for dessert or just a quick stop to fuel me before I go grocery shopping.

Regional Favorites
     Vigan Longganisa coming from Laoag courtesy of my son's girlfriend is perfectly seasoned and not too fatty.



Soupy Goodness
     Tuan Tuan's Laksa. The chunky rich broth, firm noodles and right level of spiciness is the stuff of soupy cravings.

Thirst Quencher
     Fresh Passionfruit Tea Burst from Coco is a fruity sweet, very cold drink with passionfruit seeds for an added crunch plus my all-time favorite black pearls. PHP100 and I'm a happy little camper.

Heart Attack Waiting To Happen
     Buffet at Spiral with its 21 dining ateliers will probably take me a week if I wanted to sample everythingI reserve this for really special occasions. No words to describe how ecstatic I am to eat here. Just the Cheese Room alone makes me grin from ear to ear.

Best Pasalubong
     Uncle Tetsu's Japanese Cotton Cheesecake. My son knows I love Japanese cheesecake so he always brings me one. Always freshly made and at PHP299 each, I'm all for it!

Healthy Eats
     Cordillera Salad from The Wholesome Table.  Local produce such as kale, Romaine lettuce, organic duck egg, baked onions, carrots. Benguet gooseberry tomatoes, squash, candied chayote, Benguet pole beans, feta cheese and Sagada oranges tossed in Cordillera citrus vinaigrette and sprinkled with chopped peanut brittle make up this fabulous salad.


K-Pop
      Samgyupsal is a recent discovery after getting introduced to kdramas. I love this Korean barbecue concept especially the eat-all-you-can restaurants like Romantic Baboy and Sibyullee. Never mind if I smell like barbecue afterwards.


Turning Japanese
     Ooma's Hanger Steak. This modern Japanese menu item has been a favorite since I  first sampled it and have been ordering it every visit. Seared hanging tender with ponzu sauce on a bed of the creamiest sweet potato pureé and drizzled with just a hint of truffle oil. Hmmm...heaven.



Delivered Right To Your Doorstep
     Takamura's Tonkotsu Ramen 1. Because they're the only ramen place delivering to us, and 2. real value-for-money delicious craving quencher.


Fresh From The Oven
     S&R's Bacon and Basil Pizza is the closest thing to gourmet pizza this side of the metro. Think carbonara with basil on pizza. Too bad they don't carry this anymore. 

Oh So Sweet
     Purple Oven's White Chocolate Sanzrival  looks like a present with its white chocolate ribbons on top of the white chocolate ganache. Inside is the chewy crunchy goodness that is the perfect ending to a great meal.  

Totally Unexpected
      Wangfu's Crunchy Sweet and Sour Pork With Lychees. It is a fresh take on your regular sweet and sour pork with pineapples. I wasn't expecting to like it but it works and I can't wait to make it at home.

   
     So there you have it. This list does not mean these items are the best of the best. They are the best for me. What may be the best for me might not be the best for you. To each his own. So what are your current favorites, friends? Let me know.


    

Comments