Pasta My Ultimate Comfort Food


"Life is a combination of magic and pasta"- Federico Fellini

     I may not be Italian but I agree with Il Maestro. If you asked me what my top 3 guilty pleasures are, without batting an eyelash my answer would be pasta, all things cheese and warm cookies. Pasta being Numero Uno.

     And what's not to love? It is comforting, quick to prepare and always delicious. Any typical weekend when we're alone in the house, my son and I would almost always make pasta. It doesn't matter if it's cream-, tomato- or olive oil-based. As long as it's quick to make and rolling-my-eyes delicious, I'm on board.

     
     My son's favorite pasta dish is angel hair with pomodoro sauce. It is meatless with a sweet tangy sauce made fresh with lots of fresh basil. He said it reminds him of the nights we spend alone together talking about life while eating. Afterwards we'd have dessert in bed while watching a movie. That is  a picture of our perfect evening at home. We are such homebodies we get excited over cancelled plans.

Angel Hair Pomodoro 

Ingredients
1 lb. angel hair pasta
1/4 cup olive oil
1 head garlic, peeled and chopped finely
pinch of chili flakes
1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
1  28 oz. can diced tomatoes 
1 tablespoon rock salt 
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
2 tablespoons refined sugar
1/4 cup fresh basil leaves, chopped
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese

Instructions
1. Cook pasta according to package directions.
2. Heat olive oil in pan, Add garlic and saute until fragrant.
3. Add chili flakes and Italian seasoning.
4. Add tomatoes and let simmer about 10 minutes.
5. Season with salt, pepper and sugar.
6. Gently toss pasta into the sauce.
7. Transfer to a platter and top with chopped basil and Parmesan.

Comments