Homemade Skinless Spanish Chorizo (Chorizo Hubad)


     Are you a breakfast eater? These days my fellow Titas and I often meet up for breakfast instead of the usual leisurely lunch. It's the absolute perfect time since you get to eat a nice breakfast and see your friends but still have the rest of the day for other errands.  

     I must admit, I never go a day without having breakfast. And I eat a full meal when I do.  Breakfast is my favorite meal of the day. Staycations excite me because of the complimentary breakfast. Sadly as most Filipino breakfasts go, I am guilty of eating and serving processed meats that are not so good for you like bacon, sausages, tocino and luncheon meat. I've been medically advised to avoid those, so I try to consume meat in moderation or that which isn't laden with nitrites and so much salt.

    I love chorizo. I put them in paella, callos and even pasta and huevos rancheros. So in keeping with staying on a whole food diet, I have decided to make my own chorizo sans the casing. I have seen a lot of versions of  this recipe. Some call it Chorizo Hubad or Chorizo Budbod. It really is such a versatile dish you can use for breakfast and dinner as well as an aperitif. And making this skinless Spanish chorizo is so simple you can be done before you say, "Ole!"

   
Skinless Spanish Chorizo (Chorizo Hubad)

Ingredients
½ kilo lean ground pork
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 tablespoons Spanish paprika
½ teaspoon dried basil
½ teaspoon dried oregano
½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 tablespoon rock salt
½ teaspoon ground black pepper

Instructions
1. Mix together all chorizo ingredients in a medium bowl.
2. Saute minced white onions in a pan with a little oil. Add chorizo and fry until golden brown and slightly crisp.
3. Drain well on paper towels.
4. Serve with eggs and baby potatoes or some hot steamed rice. 
5. To serve with pasta, saute chorizo mix in olive oil with garlic, onions, bell peppers and stewed tomatoes. Toss in cooked penne or spaghetti and top with grated cheese.

Comments