Fusili And Vegetable Salad


     When I long for something else other than plain old macaroni salad, I make this fusili and vegetable salad. Not only does it delight the eyes with its colorful ingredients, the fresh vegetables provide a healthy crunch to every bite.  I love the freshness the sweet basil brings and the vinegary flavor of the capers adds a tangy punch.   The dressing too is a no-brainer since I use a store-bought Classic Caesar dressing. I am not above using ready-made dressings. Hey, I'm all for whatever makes life easier.

     All you need to do is toss everything together, chill, sprinkle some grated Parmesan cheese and Tada! This salad is best served chilled but can also be delicious served at room temperature. Give it a try.



Are you a fan of edamame? They are young soybeans that are harvested early. Not only are they low in calories, they are an excellent source of calcium, iron and protein. They are a healthy treat when eaten as a snack after steaming but I absolutely love them in my salad.  I always get a bag when I spot them in the supermarket frozen food aisle.


Fusili And Vegetable Salad

Ingredients
200 grams fusili, cooked according to package directions
1 yellow bell pepper, diced
1 red bell pepper, diced
1 cup edamame
1 cup cucumber, peeled, seeded and diced
2 tablespoons black olives, sliced
2 tablespoons capers
2 tablespoons basil leaves, chopped
1 small bottle Classic Caesar dressing
2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese

Instructions
1. Cook fusili until al dente. Set aside to cool.
2. Combine the pasta and vegetables in a large bowl.
3. Add the salad dressing and gently toss the salad.
4. Chill until ready to serve.
5. Just before serving, sprinkle with Parmesan cheese on top and toss again.





Comments