High Tea at Shangri-La at The Fort

     Afternoon tea is an occasion in itself. Laid out in front of you is an assortment of the tastiest bite-sized offerings in season. All with a pot of your choice of tea or coffee if you prefer.


     This is the Western Afternoon Tea Set they serve at High Street Lounge of Shangri-La at The Fort. It is good for two but can fill up three ladies without any problems.

My favorite Earl Grey Tea

     Even before the goodies arrive, they serve you the tea. Sipping this aromatic tea instantly relaxes me. They will give you a whole pot to enjoy. But staying here in this beautiful place for at least a couple of hours and you'll likely consume more than a pot.  Always the Earl Grey gal, I order that for myself. Did I mention why I love Earl Grey? Because it brings back memories of afternoons spent with my Mom having tea with a slice of Brunn butter cake at Bon Appetit in Rustan's Makati. Now that she's gone, I take my friends to tea. Sometimes I take my son and my nieces.

The Savories 

     The way to eat your way through this tower of goodness is from the bottom up. In this case, I started with the truffled eggs. Then I moved on to the finger sandwiches. To ease my way into the sweets I had some of the buttery scones with clotted cream and jam.

                                                                          The Sweets

     Moving on to the sweets portion is the highlight of my visit. Pictured above are the pastries they currently serve which include panna cotta, financiers, lemon meringue tart, macarons, gianduja torte, and a few more. You can sense the care and skill put into making these pastries. Chef Anthony Collar who heads the cold kitchen of the hotel makes sure his staff churns out only high quality pastries.



     Health and wallet permitting, I hope to be able to go for some high tea once in a while until I am old and gray. My nieces will eventually have memories of going to high tea with silly old Tita and will probably talk about my being "extra".


Comments