Orzo Salad With Balsamic Reduction Vinaigrette

 

     I've always preferred salads with some weight to it as a meal replacement. The addition of orzo, a type of pasta which is often mistaken for a grain because it is shaped like rice; makes for a full meal. The play on textures is provided by the creaminess of the feta, the crunch of the squash seeds and the chewiness of the dried cranberries.

     I first encountered this salad at The Wholesome Table and fell in love with it. You got to hand it to Bianca Araneta for coming up with the healthiest and best-tasting menu. I follow her on social media so I know that she herself develops and kitchen tests her menu items.
   
     But naturally I had to recreate this salad at home (one of my habits that takes the joy out of eating out). Ingredients on hand, I tried to replicate what I had by memory. It may not be as appetizing to look at as the original but it tastes fantastic if I may say so myself.

     The Balsamic Vinaigrette I used in this recipe is my Go-To recipe which is quite versatile and has the perfect balance of tart and sweet. Did you notice that I add a little water to my vinaigrette? I do it to lighten the dressing so I consume less calories per tablespoon. 

Ingredients
1/2 cup orzo, uncooked
2 cups arugula
1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
2 tablespoons squash seeds
2 tablespoons dried cranberries
50 grams feta cheese

Balsamic Reduction Vinaigrette
1 tablespoons balsamic reduction
1 tablespoon honey
1 teaspoon mustard
2 tablespoons water
1/4 cup olive oil
salt and pepper to taste

Instructions
1. Cook orzo according to package directions.
2. To make the dressing, measure out all ingredients into a jar with lid and shake jar thoroughly. Chill dressing until ready to use.
3. In a platter, transfer the cooked orzo over a bed of arugula. Add in the cherry tomatoes. Sprinkle squash seeds and dried cranberries on top.
4. Lastly. crumble the feta on top of the salad.
5. Serve the dressing on the side.


Comments