Mini Almond Bundt Cakes


When I was little I used to hate the smell and taste of almond extract. It used to make me think of bathroom deodorizer. But just like cilantro, it's an acquired taste and I've grown to like, if not love, the new dimension of flavor almond extract gives to cakes and other desserts.

     I thought I'd try it on mini bundt cakes. I just used my old pound cake recipe and replace the citrus flavors with almond. So here's the recipe. Hope you'll try it out and be converted like me.


Mini Almond Bundt Cakes

Ingrdients
1 cup unsalted butter
1 3/4 cups refined sugar, divided
6 large egg yolks
2 1/4 cups sifted cake flour
2 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 cup fresh milk
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon almond extract
6 large egg whites
1 cup sifted powdered sugar
3 tablespoons water
1/4 teaspoon almond extract
1/4 cup sliced almonds, toasted

Instructions
1. Sift flour and baking powder. Set aside.
2. Cream butter and half of sugar for 10 minutes at medium speed of mixer.
3. Add egg yolks one at a time.
4. Add in vanilla and almond extracts.
5. At low mixer speed, add flour mixture alternately with milk. Set batter aside.
6. In a separate bowl, beat egg whites and remaining sugar till stiff but not dry.
7. Gently fold egg whites into batter.
8. Pour into mini bundt pans.
9. Bake at 325°F for 20 to 25 minutes or till toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
10. Cool in pan 5 minutes then transfer to wire rack to cool completely before pouring topping.

To make topping:
1. Mix powdered sugar, water and almond extract till smooth.
2. Drizzle topping on mini bundt cakes then sprinkle with toasted almonds.

Makes about 12 mini bundt cakes.



Comments