Japanese Souffle Pancakes

   

This extended quarantine has given me an opportunity to try out  recipes I've been meaning to. For weeks prior to the lockdown I have wanted to try these fluffy and jiggly Japanese souffle pancakes at a newly opened Japanese cafe in town. But since I can't do that momentarily, I set out to try making them at home instead.  I had no hopes I would get it at the first try but what do you know. Success!

   
     These souffle pancakes are a trend in Japan. They are one of those comforting indulgent items becoming big business like the lobster rolls, ramen and Kobe beef. Since I haven't been to Japan or visited the Japanese cafe that opened here, I didn't know what to expect in terms of taste and texture. I just knew they had to be fluffy and light and taste like well, pancakes. Oh boy was I in for a treat! My version tasted more like my favorite Japanese cotton cheesecake than pancakes.

     This recipe for light and fluffy souffle pancakes is inspired by the Japanese Souffle Pancake recipe of Just One Cookbook, my go-to resource for all things Japanese food-related.
   
     I doubled the recipe since we are a big family with a massive sweet tooth. This meant I had to have two pans going so I can cook all the batter in a timely fashion. Not advisable for newbies though as I burned the first  pancake in the second pan. Oy vey!
   
     Here are some of my tips that I think can help make your experience easier:
 
     1. If you've had prior experience making a meringue then it is going to be a breeze for you. It gets trickier if you haven't so I suggest to manage your expectations as a newbie. Making meringue requires timing and a swift yet gentle hand when folding the meringue into the batter.
   
     2. Don't skip chilling the eggwhites prior to mixing. While it is a rule to use room temperature eggwhites on cakes, this step makes the pancake's texture more cheesecake-like in my opinion.
   
     3. It is very important to start heating the pan(s) while you are still folding the eggwhites into the eggyolk mixture but keep it low and slow.
   
     4. I found out that  it is better to just ladle the batter onto the pan instead of piping it. I bagged the batter and it was already runny by the time I was on my 4th pancake. Piping the batter tends to deflate it faster. The goal is to pile on the batter more for height than width.  A total of three ladles of batter on top of each other for each pancake is ideal. 
   
     5. A pan cover is necessary to let the pancakes steam and cook through. Keep the pan covered while cooking the pancakes. Otherwise you get a soggy uncooked mess that doesn't taste good.
   
     6. A few teaspoons of water to steam the pancakes keeps them soft and moist but cooked through.
   
     7. Arm yourself with confidence when turning the pancakes unless you want them landing on their side or worse on the floor. A good nonstick pan and a wide turner can help you a great deal too.

     Don't get too intimidated by all these tips. I'm sure you'll master making these fluffy pancakes in no time. Try them and serve some to your loved ones soon.





Japanese Souffle Pancakes

Ingredients


Pancakes
1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons (75 grams) cake flour (I prefer to weigh this)
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 cup refined sugar
4 large eggs, separated
3 tablespoons whole milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 tablespoons cooking oil (for the pan)
1/4 cup water (for steaming)

Whipped Cream
1 cup whipping cream, well chilled
1/4 cup confectioner's powdered sugar

Toppings
fresh fruits
pancake syrup

Instructions
1. Whip chilled cream with sugar until volume is doubled. Keep chilled until ready to use.
2. Separate eggyolks from eggwhites. Chill the eggwhites in the fridge.
3. Combine the cake flour and baking powder in a bowl. Set aside.
4. Combine milk, vanilla extract and eggyolks in a bowl. Whisk until smooth and thick.
5. Sift the cake flour and baking powder over the eggyolk mixture. Fold flour mixture in. Set aside.
6. Whisk chilled eggwhites until fine bubbles form. Add sugar a tablespoon at a time. Continue mixing until you get medium peaks.
7. Heat pan(s) on low flame.
8. Fold 1/3 of meringue into eggyolk mixture to lighten it.
9. Lightly fold eggyolk mixture into the remaining meringue.
10. Brush pan lightly with oil. Wipe excess oil with paper towel.
11. Scoop 2 ladles worth of batter per pancake. Add water to the pan and cover. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes.
12. Add another scoop on top of pancakes. Cover and cook another 2 minutes.
13. Flip pancakes, cover and cook for another 2 minutes or until done.
14. Transfer pancakes to a plate and dust with powdered sugar.
15. Serve immediately with whipped cream, cut-up fruits and syrup.

Comments