There are days (a lot of them lately) when I simply don't want to bake because of the summer heat and the crazy price of LPG. So when the kids and I saw a post from Casa Veneracion about microwave chocolate cupcakes, we decided to try it for our Sunday dinner dessert. The kids had so many ideas. They wanted to put M & M's, gum, cookies and cream chocolate, etc. It was hilarious. Finally, we all agreed on Nutella and a few M &M's for the little ones' cups.
I made a few changes to the original recipe to put a personal spin to it. It's a pretty simple procedure even the kids can do it. Supervised, of course.
Nutella® Chocolate Mug Cake
7 tablespoons all-purpose flour, sifted
3 tablespoons Dutch-processed unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 cup refined sugar
1 tablespoon coffee granules
1 medium egg, lightly beaten
1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1/4 cup fresh milk
2 to 3 teaspoons Nutella® chocolate hazelnut spread
dusting of confectioner's powdered sugar
- Combine all ingredients except Nutella in a bowl mixing until smooth.
- Divide between two mugs or 3 tea cups (Make sure the mugs you use are microwave-safe!).
- Drop a teaspoon of Nutella in the mug. Push down with a teaspoon.
- Microwave on High for 1.5 to 2 minutes.
- Cool 10 minutes. (They are way too hot served immediately.)
- Dust tops with powdered sugar before serving.
This is also yummy when served with a scoop of vanilla ice cream on the side. The hot and cold combination is just superb. A word to the wise, a mug cake is meant to be shared. One serving is huge!