Wednesday, July 23, 2008
Chunky Chocolate Chip Chip Cookies (where it all began)
As far back as I can remember, chocolate chip cookies with walnuts are the first ever baked product I made. All at the tender age of 15. If I'm not mistaken I was using a tiny oven toaster then. I got the original recipe from a old copy of Good Housekeeping magazine more than 20 years ago and I've tweaked it a bit.
I've tested a lot of recipes for chocolate chip cookies but here's one that I'd rather stick with.
Chunky Chocolate Chip Cookies
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup shortening
1 cup refined sugar
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
2 large eggs
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 cup chopped walnuts
1. Sift together flour, baking soda and salt in a bowl. Set aside.
2. Cream butter, shortening, refined sugar and brown sugar for about 5 minutes.
3. Add eggs one at a time.
4. At low speed, add flour mixture until just mixed.
5. Fold in chocolate chips and walnuts by hand.
6. Using a 1 oz. scoop, drop cookie dough 2 inches apart onto ungreased cookie sheets.
7. Bake in 350F oven for 12 to 15 minutes.
8. Cool 2 minutes on cookie sheet then transfer to wire rack and cool completely.